Home > What is a conditional Fee Agreenment

What exactly is a Conditional Fee Agreement?

Conditional Fee Agreement is the legal term for No Win No Fee. Here's how it works.

Find out how much your claim is worth within minutes

0800 175 7900

Why should you ask for a Conditional Fee Agreement?

The law says that if you have been injured or made ill by someone else, you have a right to claim compensation. But fear of legal fees might stop you from seeking the justice you deserve. A Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) - also known as 'No Win No Fee' - is one way of being able to claim the compensation you deserve without worrying about being left owing money if your claim fails. Find out more below, or talk to one of our friendly advisors on 0800 175 7900.

What's the most important fact about Conditional Fee Agreements?

The most important fact about Conditional Fee Agreements is that they guarantee your No Win No Fee claim will be just that. It's your legally binding guarantee that you won't have to pay your lawyer a penny if your claim is unsuccessful.

So CFA's are very important, because they mean that even people who don't have enough money to pay for a legal claim have a way to seek the compensation they rightfully deserve.

CFAs began in 1998, as a way to make justice available to all, not just the very rich. At that time, they allowed lawyers to recover a 'success fee' from the losing side, which meant that your lawyers could give you 100% of the compensation they won for you.

This law changed in 2013, to stop the losing party from having to pay the 'success fee.' So from that time on, lawyers in CFA - or No Win No Fee - cases have instead taken their success fee from the compensation claim, which is usually 25% of the overall amount.

Click here for the full claims process.

Are there any 'catches' in Conditional Fee Agreements?

No, there are no catches, as we will only ever charge you an agreed percentage of your compensation. So even if our actual costs run into thousands of pounds, you will always get 75% of your compensation, even if the remaining 25% doesn't cover what fighting your case has cost us.

But even so, it's worth knowing how a 'No Win No Fee' agreement is set up.

In cases where your home insurance or car insurance cover legal expenses, we can often arrange for your insurers to cover our fees in the event that your claim isn't successful: at no cost to you.

If your insurance doesn't cover legal fees, we might ask you to take out After The Event (ATE) legal insurance. There is no up front charge for this, and the charges will only ever be paid out of compensation, so you can't be left out of pocket for this either.

In any event, your lawyer will explain all of the details before you start your case. The important thing to remember is that with Claims Direct, No Win No Fee means just that; so a Conditional Fee Agreement will always give you the peace of mind you need to go ahead and claim what is rightfully yours.

No Win No Fee

Will you offer it to me?

Around 98% of the claims handled on behalf of our clients are No Win No Fee. That means you will never be out of pocket with Claims Direct.

Read more