Home > Slip and trip injury claims > Boilers and the Danger of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Boilers and the Danger of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Find out how much your claim is worth within minutes

0800 175 7900

Boilers and the Danger of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

It is very easy to take your boiler for granted and it is only when a problem occurs that we typically take any notice of it at all.

An annual boiler service is highly recommended to keep our boilers working safely and efficiently.

Regular servicing not only protects and prolongs the life of your boiler and keeps it running efficiently; it also protects you and your family's safety.

Old or poorly maintained gas boilers such as those with little ventilation or blocked or leaky flues, can release poisonous carbon monoxide gas.

According to the NHS, more than 50 people a year are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty heating appliances.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is not only poisonous but also notoriously hard to detect naturally.

When carbon monoxide enters the body, it prevents the blood from distributing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs. For those who are exposed to high levels of the gas there is a heightened risk of death by asphyxiation.

Levels that do not initially kill can cause serious health damage if inhaled over prolonged periods, with paralysis and brain damage occurring in extreme cases.

Fitting a carbon monoxide detector is one way to ensure your home is always safe. Gas flames burning yellow or orange instead of blue, blocked chimneys or flues, and soot stains on or above boilers, are all telltale signs that could indicate the presence of gas in your home or workplace.

If you suspect your boiler may be damaged or faulty it is very important to act quickly to minimise the chances of any potential carbon monoxide leak. It is paramount that you get a qualified Gas Safe engineer to service or repair your boiler as quickly as possible.

Gas fitters are required by law to be registered with the Gas Safe Register which exists to protect people from negligent gas work being carried out by unregistered engineers who don’t have the necessary training.

Gas Safe registered engineers have to carry a Gas Safe identity card, which shows who they are and the type of boiler appliances they are qualified to work on. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) always encourage people to check an engineer’s card before they have gas work carried out in their home.

Boilers which haven’t been installed or properly checked by registered engineers can put tenants and homeowners at serious risk of injury and even potentially death.

You can help to protect yourself against carbon monoxide poisoning by having all your gas appliances, including your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire serviced and safety checked on an annual basis by a Gas Safe registered specialist.

You can claim compensation for carbon monoxide poisoning if it was someone else’s fault.  Most of our claims are dealt with on a No Win No Fee basis and we offer a free consultation.

Call Claims Direct on freephone 0800 175 7900 or start your claim online and we will review your claim at no cost to you.

No Win No Fee

Will you offer it to me?

Around 98% of the claims handled on behalf of our clients are No Win No Fee. That means you will never be out of pocket with Claims Direct.

Read more