Home > Can you claim if blame is uncertain?

Can I claim if blame is uncertain?

If someone else is at fault, and we can prove it, you can probably claim compensation for your injuries.

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Starting a claim if blame is uncertain.

UK law says that where you have been injured or made ill and it was someone else's fault, you might be entitled to compensation. But of course, you need proof of who's to blame. Find out more below, or feel free to talk to one of our friendly advisors on 0800 175 7900.

The two big rules for claiming injury compensation

  • The injury must have happened in the last three years
  • Someone else must be at fault, and we must be able to prove it

The first rule is pretty simple. You can only file an injury compensation claim if the accident happened in the last three years, or you were diagnosed with an illness that is due to someone else's fault in the last three years.

The second rule is where things can get a bit more complicated. Obviously, if you've been rear-ended at a junction in a car accident and have whiplash, it's fairly easy to prove that the other driver was at fault, and to claim from their insurance.

But there are lots of other types of accidents that are less straightforward, which can make it difficult to prove who is to blame.

Accidents that make it hard to prove blame

Some of the most difficult injuries for which to prove blame involve hit and run accidents, where the guilty party is unknown as they failed to stop at the scene. Fortunately, in cases like this, we can still often claim on your behalf, by going to the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB).

It can also be difficult to prove blame in asbestos illness cases when companies have since gone out of business. Fortunately, we can still claim compensation from the insurance companies of those businesses.

In cases like these, even where you are 100% convinced that someone else is to blame for your illness or injury, it can be risky starting a claim as legal bills can be expensive. This is why we conduct most cases on a No Win No Fee basis.

The advantage of No Win No Fee claims

No Win No Fee claims – also called Conditional Fee Agreements (CFA) - are very popular these days, as they take the risk out of making injury compensation claims.

We handle around 98% of our cases as No Win No fee claims, and the remaining 2% are mainly paid for by Legal Aid or similar schemes.

In all cases, even if you're unsure of who's at fault for your injury or illness, we will be totally honest and tell you whether we think your claim can be proven and it's chances of success before we consider taking it on as a No Win No Fee agreement.

It won't cost you a penny to talk to us, and it might just mean winning the compensation you need and deserve.

No Win No Fee

Will you offer it to me?

Around 98% of the claims handled on behalf of our clients are No Win No Fee. That means you will never be out of pocket with Claims Direct.

Read more