Residents 'may claim compensation following illegal gas fitting'Residents at a property in Rowhedge, Colchester may claim compensation after work was carried out at the location by an illegal gas fitter.
Trading as Team Electric, Kevin Cook installed a gas fire at the premises even though he had no prior experience of such work and was not registered to complete the task.
Mr Cook took on general building work at the house and informed the householders a registered engineer attached the gas pipe while he simply assembled the fire.
However, a Gas Safe Registered engineer called out to service the fire found it had not been installed in the way outlined in the manufacturer's instructions.
By failing to connect the flue to the fire, carbon monoxide poisoning could have been a serious risk.
Health and Safety Executive inspector Vicky Fletcher noted: "Anyone fitting a gas appliance needs to be registered with the appropriate approved body to work legally. Mr Cook defied this requirement and endangered lives."
Posted by Francesca Witney
05/07/2012 16:59SHARE THIS