Claim to be launched for carbon monoxide poisoning?A personal injury lawyer may be required by a family after it emerged they had been put at risk of contracting carbon monoxide poisoning.
Phillip Birchmore - trading as PSB Plumbing and Heating - carried out work on the boiler system at a home in Newark in August 2010 and this was subsequently found to be faulty.
Upon inspection by a Gas Safety official, the job Mr Birchmore had completed - which involved removing an old boiler and fitting a new device - was found to be unsafe.
The matter was then passed on to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and an investigation by this body established the professional was not listed on the Gas Safe Register, meaning he was operating illegally.
He was subsequently prosecuted and, during a case heard at Nottingham Magistrates' Court, pleaded guilty to breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
Steve Woods of the HSE commented: "Badly-fitted and poorly-serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning."
Posted by Emily Swanson
25/04/2012 17:21SHARE THIS