What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
When it comes to the health and safety of guests, visitors and employees, the owners and managers of hotels and B&Bs have an obligation to ensure that precautions and trained staff are in place to avoid harm.
There are many subtle risks that may result in an accident or injury on the busy premises of a hotel. A wet floor or loose paving stone left untended without adequate signage to make people aware could result in a slip or fall and an injury, with you liable for any compensation claim. But without the necessary safety precautions, carbon monoxide poisoning could be a great risk to your customers and staff.
It has been reported in the press that a group of holidaymakers avoided serious injury when they were evacuated from a holiday home near Georgeham and Croyde. Barnstaple firefighter Steve Isaac stated, "The main danger with carbon monoxide is poisoning. The good thing was they had a carbon monoxide detector and it activated.”
The first thing to act upon when it comes to preventing carbon monoxide poisoning is to be aware of it. This may sound obvious, but carbon monoxide is not. It is colourless, odourless and tasteless, meaning staff and customers will not be able to sense it. Its presence may only be detected by its symptoms, which can include:
• loss of consciousness
• chest and stomach pains
• erratic behaviour
Health and safety obligations mean that your staff should be knowledgeable of the dangers of carbon monoxide, and well trained in the event of a leak. Of equal importance is the regular maintenance and servicing of appliances such as boilers and heaters that use gas, solid fuel and oil, as well as ensuring any chimneys, flues and other forms of ventilation are kept clear. Fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors could save lives and so should be checked regularly.
In the event that a hotel neglected the above responsibilities, an undetected carbon monoxide leak could potentially have severe consequences, leading to a compensation claim for which the hotel owners would be liable.
You can claim compensation for carbon monoxide poisoning if it was someone else’s fault. Most of our claims are dealt with on a No Win No Fee basis and we offer a free consultation.
For free, expert legal advice call Claims Direct on 0808 175 7900 or claim online.
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP