What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and What are the Symptoms?

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide is sometimes referred to as the “silent killer” because it is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste.

Breathing in Carbon Monoxide makes you very unwell and can kill. In Britain around 200 people a year go to hospital with suspected Carbon Monoxide poisoning and approximately 40 people die from inhaling the toxic gas.

The most common symptom of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is a persistent headache. Most people ignore this and think it’s down to stress or other factors which can often lead to misdiagnosis by medical professionals.

Other symptoms include:

  • Dizziness
  • Nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting
  • Tiredness and confusion
  • Stomach pain
  • Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

The symptoms can be similar to flu or food poisoning. But Carbon Monoxide poisoning does not produce a fever or pass after a few days.

Household appliances are the main cause of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and most of us have the worst culprits at home. Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuels such as coal, oil, gas, or wood do not burn fully.

Incorrectly installed appliances such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers are the most common sources of Carbon Monoxide. Blocked flues and chimneys can prevent it escaping, allowing it to reach dangerous levels.

As you cannot smell or taste Carbon Monoxide it is always best to install a Carbon Monoxide alarm. It’s like a smoke alarm but will give out a high pitched noise when levels of Carbon Monoxide get too high. You must also make sure that appliances are well maintained and regularly serviced to reduce the risk of a Carbon Monoxide leak.

If you or a family member believe that you have Carbon Monoxide poisoning it’s vital to get medical help straight away.

As Carbon Monoxide poisoning is often caused by faulty, incorrectly installed or maintained appliances you may be able to claim compensation for your illness. Claims Direct have Personal Injury Solicitors that have won compensation from landlords, letting agents and plumbers. They have also successfully won against medical professionals who failed to diagnose the poisoning, returning people to the source of the illness.

The Personal Injury Lawyers at Claims Direct help people who have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning on a No Win No Fee basis.

Call Claims Direct for a free consultation on freephone 0800 884 0321 or start a claim online and we will be happy to help.