What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
A stonemason that was fined by Northampton Crown Court after the death of a young boy could face further legal action.
Kristian Childs, trading as KD Childs Stonework of Luton, had been contracted to install a number of fireplaces in new houses - including one in Coulthard Close, Towcester, which was bought by Gail and David Green.
The couple moved into their property with son Matthew and daughter Rachel in 2003, but two years later a 47kg mantel from the frame fell on to the young boy without warning.
Despite being rushed to hospital, the toddler died shortly after receiving medical help.
An investigation was brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which found Mr Childs had failed to ensure the mantel was properly installed and he was fined £7,500 and told to pay £2,500 in costs.
After the prosecution, Alan Craddock, head of operations for the HSE's Midlands construction division, said: "This was a tragic fatal accident that devastated a young family, made so much worse by the fact it could have been so easily prevented."
Posted by Francesca Witney
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP