Asbestos exposure killed pipe fitter

Asbestos exposure killed pipe fitter 2834

A former pipe fitter that died earlier this year suffered from an asbestos induced lung infection.

This is according to Southampton deputy coroner Gordon Denson, who recorded a verdict of death due to industrial disease.

Douglas Allen, 81, died on January 13th 2012 at Oakhaven Hospice in Lymington after a long struggle with health problems, according to the Southern Daily Echo.

Southampton Coroners Court heard these issues were likely caused by extensive exposure to the carcinogenic material between 1958 and 1970 when he worked in the oil industry as a pipe fitter.

However, it was not until the late 1990s that doctors finally discovered the lining of his lungs was scarred by fibres of asbestos he may have inhaled when completing a job at the Fawley oil refinery.

Mr Allen's family may now be eligible to launch a compensation claim against his former employer.

Posted by Francesca Witney ADNFCR-1500-ID-801605725-ADNFCR

28/06/2013 15:00