What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
A former pipe fitter that died earlier this year suffered from an asbestos induced lung infection.
This is according to Southampton deputy coroner Gordon Denson, who recorded a verdict of death due to industrial disease.
Douglas Allen, 81, died on January 13th 2012 at Oakhaven Hospice in Lymington after a long struggle with health problems, according to the Southern Daily Echo.
Southampton Coroners Court heard these issues were likely caused by extensive exposure to the carcinogenic material between 1958 and 1970 when he worked in the oil industry as a pipe fitter.
However, it was not until the late 1990s that doctors finally discovered the lining of his lungs was scarred by fibres of asbestos he may have inhaled when completing a job at the Fawley oil refinery.
Mr Allen's family may now be eligible to launch a compensation claim against his former employer.
Posted by Francesca Witney
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP