What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
A woman could claim for compensation after she was put at risk of contracting carbon monoxide poisoning by faulty gas installation work done at her home.
Mark Crake carried out work to install a new gas hob at a residence in Malvern, Worcestershire, in July 2011 but a subsequent investigation commissioned by the National Grid found that the appliance was leaking heavily.
The unnamed homeowner smelled gas when she returned home after the job had been done and therefore decided to sleep with the windows open.
When the scent was still present the next day, she contacted the National Grid for guidance and was told to immediately turn the gas supply off at the inlet valve.
The body then sent an operative from First Call to check on the appliance, who confirmed there was a significant leak.
This led to an investigation being conducted by the Gas Safe Register, which established that Mr Crake, who was operating as a self-employed fitter, had not installed the appliance correctly and to current safety standards.
It later transpired that the man was not listed on the Gas Safe Register and had therefore carried out this job illegally, leading to him being prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
For instance, he failed to tighten the piping connections to the gas hob and also not completing a pressure task after the task to make sure there were no leaks coming from the appliance.
As such, during a case heard at Worcester Magistrates' Court, Mr Crake admitted breaching two clauses of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and one section of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Chris Gregory, inspector at the HSE,
After the hearing, HSE inspector Chris Gregory said Mr Crake's work had been "potentially lethal".
"Poorly maintained, faulty or badly installed gas work can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal or cause serious long-term health problems," he added.
Posted by Emily Swanson
Claims Direct is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.