What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
A Clackmannanshire-based company has been fined after a chimney sweep fell from the stack of a two-storey house in Falkirk, Scotland.
Dylan Skelhorn, 32 from Tillicoultry, was employed by D Henderson Chimney Specialists and Roofers when the work accident took place in 2011.
Mr Skelhorn was sweeping the chimney, as was his normal role, before he accidentally fell and slid down the pitched roof of the property and landed five metres below on the ground.
After being rushed to hospital doctors diagnosed the man with a collapsed lung, two fractured ribs and a fractured pelvis. Such was the extent of his injuries, the 32-year-old has been unable to return to work and still needs to use crutches.
For its part in failing to develop a safe system of work for employees, D Henderson Chimney Specialists and Roofers was fined £20,000 after pleading guilty to breaching Sections 2(1) and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
By Francesca Witney
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP