What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
Residents at a property in Rowhedge, Colchester may claim compensation after work was carried out at the location by an illegal gas fitter.
Trading as Team Electric, Kevin Cook installed a gas fire at the premises even though he had no prior experience of the work and was not registered to complete the task.
Mr Cook took on general building work at the house and informed the householders a registered engineer attached the gas pipe, while he simply assembled the fire.
However, a Gas Safe Registered engineer called out to service the fire found it had not been installed in the way outlined in the manufacturer's instructions.
By failing to connect the flue to the fire, carbon monoxide poisoning could have been a serious risk.
Health & Safety Executive inspector Vicky Fletcher said, "Anyone fitting a gas appliance needs to be registered with the appropriate approved body to work legally. Mr Cook defied this requirement and endangered lives."
Posted by Francesca Witney
Claims Direct is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 58 Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3HZ and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.