What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
Compensation claims may be issued by tenants against a local authority after it emerged they had been put in danger of contracting carbon monoxide poisoning.
The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham has been issued with a fine of £83,600 after it was found to have failed to meet legal requirements in terms of gas appliance checks.
By law, Councils must arrange annual checks on all its houses by an engineer listed on the Gas Safe Register.
However, an investigation conducted by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found the Council had not provided sufficient certification for equipment in many of its properties between April 2008 and July 2010.
As a result, the Council has been issued with a fine of £83,600 following a case heard at Westminster Magistrates' Court and any tenants affected may claim damages.
Nicola Maisuria, HSE inspector, warned "Carbon monoxide can kill quickly without warning and approximately 20 people die every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from gas appliances."
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP