Tenant to seek carbon monoxide compensation?

Compensation claims may be launched against a landlord after it emerged he had put tenants at risk of contracting carbon monoxide poisoning.

Despite being warned by both the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the local council to do so, Mohammed Hanif failed to employ a registered engineer to conduct tests on gas appliances at a residential property he rented out in Wakefield.

A tenant moved in to the home in February 2009 but Mr Hanif did not give them a copy of his gas safety record and, following several maintenance problems with the house, they decided to get the council involved.

However, even after the local authority wrote to Mr Hanif asking him to provide evidence of gas safety at the property, the landlord failed to do so.

Dr Angus Robbins of the HSE commented: "This was wilful disregard for the safety of this tenant, who had been left in a vulnerable and potentially dangerous situation."

Posted by Emily SwansonADNFCR-1500-ID-801379783-ADNFCR

07/06/2012 16:32