What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
Wayne Marshall was employed to carry out repairs on a joint chimney at a property in the Seven Sisters district of London in March 2010 but mistakenly left rubble in the structure.
This subsequently caused a blockage in the flue of the chimney, resulting in a leak of carbon monoxide entering one of the homes.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated this issue and found that Mr Marshall and the professionals he had subcontracted for the job had both failed to inform homeowner Steve Everett and his family that work had begun.
As a result, Mr Everett had not turned his boiler off, meaning the carbon monoxide from the equipment had nowhere to go due to a lack of ventilation.
Stephen Jones of the HSE explained this carelessness could have caused "multiple fatalities".
Posted by Emily Swanson
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP