Apprentice set on fire in accident at work

Burns and scarring sustained when an apprentice was set on fire at work could result in a personal injury compensation settlement being agreed.

The unnamed 23-year-old - who had been training as a mechanic for 18 months at the time - was seriously injured in March 2009 as he burned rubbish in an old oil drum at premises owned by Swadlincote Diesel Fuel Injection Services in Derbyshire.

In order to start the fire, a colleague of the injured party poured waste fuel on the blaze, which led to an explosion.

Subsequently, the 23-year-old sustained burns to his arms, hands and neck and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has since ruled that his employer had failed to put in place a safe system of work involving flammable substances.

Edward Walker of the HSE said the worker's injury was "waiting to happen".

"The waste fuel ideally should have been drained into a sealed, labelled container and then put into a locked storage area," he added.

Posted by Francesca WitneyADNFCR-1500-ID-801324317-ADNFCR

22/03/2012 16:23