What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
According to the Yorkshire Post, some 27 travellers fell ill after experiencing squalid conditions at the four-star Holiday Village Red Sea in the Egyptian destination of Sharm El Sheikh.
Members of the group have stated the resort has appalling hygiene standards, as food was left uncovered and there was an overpowering stench of sewage throughout their stay.
As a result, the visitors are now taking legal action against First Choice on the grounds that the company's negligence caused their illnesses.
Charlotte Howard, one of the affected guests, told the news source: "The tour operator needs to held accountable for the illness me and my family suffered."
Recently, the Hull Daily Mail revealed that the Four Seasons takeaway in Hull has been shut down due to unsatisfactory hygiene conditions.
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP