What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
Individuals who use the Westlands Community Centre in Newcastle-under-Lyme may have been exposed to the potentially lethal gas after it was revealed that the location's 30-year-old boiler was leaking.
The fire service was called to inspect the building by concerned people using it and subsequently found high levels of carbon monoxide emitting from the flue in the loft.
And an investigation conducted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has now established that the boiler had not been serviced for nearly two years prior to this incident.
As a result, Newcastle Borough Council has now admitted breaching health and safety rules, with Lynne Boulton of the HSE indicating that the authority's negligence "could have had much more serious consequences".
This comes after figures from the government recently revealed that 4,000 people need to visit A&E due to carbon monoxide poisoning every year in Britain.
Posted by Emily Swanson
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP