What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
Handyman William Rogers was removing partition boards at premises in Olton, Solihull, in January of this year, which he presumed contained asbestos cement and therefore did not require the services of specialist contractors.
However, an investigation conducted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) established that this was not the case and because he decided to carry out the job himself, he ended up releasing potentially lethal fibres into the air.
As a result, both he and the tenant whose kitchen he was working on may have contracted an asbestos-related illness.
Jo Anderson of the HSE warned that people who have "not checked what kind of asbestos is present ... must not start work".
This comes after handyman Rochefort Shugar was exposed to asbestos while working at a home in South Wales in October last year.
Posted by Emily Swanson
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP