What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
Medical negligence compensation is being sought by a family after an elderly relative suffered burns and scarring following a blunder at their local hospital.
According to the BBC, 83-year-old Joyce Hardingham was hurt at Wythenshawe Hospital - an institution managed by the University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Trust - when she visited to have the battery on her pacemaker swapped.
This is a simple procedure that the pensioner had undergone several times before, but on this occasion a spark was emitted from the equipment which then set light to the disinfectant professionals had used to sterilise the affected area of her body.
Neil Cooper, Ms Hardingham's son-in-law, told the news source this resulted in "quite a substantial fire" as the woman was lying down at the time, meaning the fluid had soaked into the paper below her.
"The incident was so significant that one of the nurses present needed immediate trauma counselling," he added.
Claims Direct is a trading style of Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (OC371153).
The registered office is: 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL.
Slater and Gordon (UK) LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA no 568143).
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity.
© 2016 Slater & Gordon (UK) LLP