Family to seek damages following death of mother?

The family of a woman who passed away earlier this week (January 2nd 2011) may decide to pursue a claim for compensation after firefighters said the fire in which she died was probably caused by faulty Christmas lights.

According to the Birmingham Mail, Frances Austin was killed by a blaze that engulfed her semi-detached home in Warton, meaning that severe burns and scarring were likely to have been a factor in her death.

Andy Bates - watch manager of the Warwickshire Fire Service, which manages around 20 stations in the region - told the news source that the likely source of the inferno was defective lights on the Christmas tree, which was in the living room.

Mrs Austin was trapped upstairs in the house, while her husband and 17-year-old son were downstairs and managed to escape to safety.

“The intensity of the fire was increased because the family had a real Christmas tree in their home which unfortunately dried out over the Christmas period," commented Mr Bates.

Posted by Helen Jones
 ADNFCR-1500-ID-800327532-ADNFCR

06/01/2011 16:40