Burns and scarring damages awarded to young girl

An incident of burns and scarring at a branch of a telecommunications retailer has resulted in the company awarding a personal injury compensation settlement of £10,000.

According to the Swindon Advertiser, a girl of three years of age scalded her chin and chest area after dispensing hot water from a machine at a store operated by the Carphone Warehouse - which has more than 800 branches across the UK - and subsequently needed medical attention at a nearby hospital in August 2009.

Following an investigation, it was found that the dispenser's child safety button was not working, meaning that the young child had been able to pour water of a temperature in excess of 90 degrees onto her body.

This comes after a similar incident in November 2008 in a Carphone Warehouse store in Worcester resulted in a four-year-old boy scalding himself, after workers thought the machine was only dispensing cold water.
 ADNFCR-1500-ID-800352189-ADNFCR

19/01/2011 16:37